Thursday, January 10, 2008

Why do you speak with that accent now?

I have this amazing love/hate relationship with facebook.

It is such a handy resource sometimes, but it can make me so disappointed in people sometimes. I had an experience with the latter the other day. I added a new friend who was an old friend and immediately visited his page. I looked at his wall and, let me just say, I have never seen so many white suburban kids use the n-word. I was disgusted. I mean, these are kids that I went to high school with and hung out with in my neighborhood.

Now, maybe I'm just jealous. I mean, I don't like the n-word as much as a white man can. But to be able to use any slang at all would be wonderful. I sound like a parent. Kids today are so "gangsta."

I came away from this with one conclusion. I had assumed that the top two users of the n-word are rappers and racists. I guess suburban white kids are number three on that list now.

This suburban white kid is passing on that trend.

I guess I just want people to be real.

"So who do you fool with that costume now?
Everyone knows you're not who you seem
You've got a hard way about you
For someone whose passage is already paid"
-Dashboard Confessional

No comments: